Thursday, February 20, 2014

Collecting Donations for Free the Girls

It's been a busy winter with lots of ice and snow, but warmer days are on the way and that means it's time for spring cleaning! For the last few weeks, I've been going through our house looking for things to donate, pass along to other moms, and throw away. It's actually been pretty fun to pack things up and have more room in our cabinets. It also shows that one person's trash is another person's treasure!

One thing I seem to have accumulated a lot of over time is bras! Sports bras, regular bras, nursing bras...you name it, I have it in a large quantity. However, these items aren't as easy to get rid of, even when they are in good shape. As if reading my mind, another mom in a babywearing group posted information about Free the Girls, a non-profit organization that donates gently used bras to women who have escaped slavery but need to earn a living to survive outside of the slave industry. As soon as I got in touch with her and visited the organization's website, I knew it was time for me to host my own bra drive.

Free the Girls has been around since 2010 and has created a really admirable program. You mail your donation to them, they send the bras to women in their program with the initial inventory being a donation, the women sell the bras, and the women can then purchase additional inventory at a reduced rate. There's a lot of information about how the program works and its success record on the website. The press kit is also great.

If you are local to me and would like to make a donation, let me know and I'd be happy to send it along with the donations I am collecting now. Or, if you are far away, consider hosting a bra drive of your own. Either way, I encourage you to check out the organization and see the inspiring work they are doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment