Friday, May 13, 2011

Volunteering Road Trip: Service Driven

If you're reading this and you know me, then you know that I'm not the type of person to go on a long road trip, in particular if it doesn't involve a detailed plan, frequent stops at rest areas, and perhaps some outlet shopping along the way.  However, I do like to follow my friends when they travel across the country, especially when they blog about the experience and post lots of pictures.  Fortunately for me, my friend Sharon and her boyfriend Jay are several months in to a year-long trip across the United States and Canada that includes travel, blogging, AND volunteering.  They also like beer, bikes, and bacon (listed in that order) so that doesn't hurt either.

The main reason I'm writing about Sharon and Jay today is because they have entered a really cool contest and it would be awesome if they won.  Through Travelocity's Travel for Good website, they are in the running for a $5,000 "voluntourism" grant.  If they win, Sharon and Jay will travel to Alaska where they will volunteer, go on a hiking trip, and continue to share their experiences on Service Driven.org

Right now, they are in 14th place. Their goal is to be in the top 10 by May 31st and be one of the 25 entries that moves on to the second round, which is judged by Travelocity.  It's unclear how the voting from round one comes into play, but it never hurts to go in looking like rock stars!

Voting is super easy – you don’t even need to register.  Just click here and go back every 24 hours to vote again!

Thanks for supporting my friends, and thanks for reading my blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment