Monday, September 26, 2011

Reasons to Smile


Today I saw a tweet and it made me think back to an experience I had in high school. This will be hard for most of you to believe -- I didn’t talk much until sometime in 9th or 10th grade. And, it’s true that since then, some people think I haven’t shut up. Back then, I was very shy. Of course I did write lots of notes to my friends and fold them into cool shapes and I talked to my close group of friends. But, in general, I was quiet and reserved.

I was in 9th grade, but my locker was mixed in with 11th and 12th graders because of a schedule change. One guy would always start conversations with me, but we weren’t really friends. One day he asked me how many steps it was from my locker to the Commons (area near the school entrance). Why would I know!? He told me that I should know because I always looked down when I walked in the hallway. He then told me I should look up and smile. I don’t know if it was true, but I did try to smile more.

Now I find myself smiling a lot. I don’t remember the guy’s name, but I’m sure if I pulled out a yearbook, I’d recognize him. You never know when a comment you make to someone will change their outlook.

Keep smiling, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment